484 London Road
Opening on Hogmanay 1930, the Arcadia was a plain building, inside and out, despite being designed by stylish architect William Beresford Inglis. Inglis also designed the Boulevard at Knightswood, and the Toledo at Muirend, as well as Glasgow's first skyscraper hotel – now the Beresford building on Sauchiehall Street. Part of the Arcadia's ceiling collapsed in 1953, and it was sold to the ubiquitous Green family. By 1962 it was a bingo hall, and was demolished in the early 1970s to allow for a redevelopment scheme.
Image credit: CTA Archive