Glasgow Film Theatre (The Cosmo)

Gft exterior   neil thomas douglas detail

12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
1939-present

Designed from the outset as an arthouse cinema, The Cosmo was the last cinema to open in the city centre before the outbreak of the Second World War. The first purpose built arthouse cinema outside of London, it was built for George Singleton. Originally holding 850 people in a single screen, it now has three screens. Always ahead of the times, this was the first cinema to screen a live television show – of the Queen's coronation.

Image credit: Neil Thomas Douglas