52-62 Renfield Street
A real American-style Picture Palace, the Paramount – owned by Paramount Pictures – opened on Hogmanay 1934. It only became an Odeon when Paramount sold off all its UK cinemas when it was worried about imminent Nazi invasion in 1940! On opening it featured 'the most extensive neon display in Scotland', had over 200 staff catering to over 2,700 patrons, and had a comfy cafe as well as a luxurious restuarant. Its giant stage played host to the Beatles and Rolling Stones, and it closed – with nine screens squeezed into the space that once was a giant single screen – in 2006. All but the foyer has since been demolished.
Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org