90 Sauchiehall Street
The modern plain shop front is unrecognisable as the Salon, once covered in coloured mosaic tiles to create a Moorish castle on Sauchiehall Street! Above the 950-seat cinema was a rooftop winter gardens and tea room with a glass roof - fragments of which still survive today above suspended ceilings and later alterations. A short-lived cinema, it was converted into shops in 1923 after allegedly being frequented by women of ill-repute! There are now plans to demolish it to build a hotel on the site.
Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org