73 Cowcaddens Street
The small Alexander Assembly Rooms – on the first floor above a pub –became Pringle's Bijou Picture Palace. Seating over 700 people with only one entrance and exit, it was closed in 1929 because of fire safety concerns. Later owned by the same company that had the Theatre Royal, it was demolished to allow STV to build their headquarters on the site. During recent demolition works the remains of the bricked up proscenium opening was briefly revealed, but the whole site is now swallowed up for the new foyer building of the nearby theatre.
Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org