Govanhill Picture House

Govanhillpp2 detail

49 Bankhall Street
1926-1961

A rare example of an Egyptian-themed cinema — with the tiled frontage featuring lotus columns, gleaming copper domes and even a tiled scarab above the entrance. Its opening date of 1926 makes it earlier than any of the handful of English examples that were equally inspired by the discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb a few years before The fairly plain interior was lost when the building was converted into a warehouse in 1974. Plans to demolish it for flats thankfully came to nothing, and it is currently being reroofed and rebuilt as a banqueting centre.

Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org