New Savoy

Fw savoy 1 detail

Hope Street
1911-1958

The car entrance to the Savoy Centre marks the spot of the inspiration for the name – the Savoy Theatre opened here in 1911. A full time cinema from 1916, it was imaginitively renamed the New Savoy in 1916. Later it became a ballroom, with the theate balcony removed and was demolished in 1972 to allow the Savoy centre to be built.

Image credit: Frank Watson