White Elephant

Elephant detail

42 Kilmarnock Road
1927-1960

The odd name of this cinema was the result of a public competition held by owner AE Pickard - of "London, Paris, Moscow and Bannockburn." The cinema was part of a complex that contained a ballroom, restaurant and its own car park. The cinema held near 2,000 people, some in lover's neuks. From the mid-1930s, it dropped the White to become just the Elephant. Converted into shops in the 1960s, the facade has been simplified and modernised.

Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org