Tivoli

Glasgow tivoli 1980 cd detail

53 Crow Road
1929-1972

This enormous cinema featured glass-covered waiting areas at the front to let patrons shelter from the Glasgow weather while they waited for seats inside! Archive photos show the auditorium featured an enormous backlit coloured glass panel in the ceiling, and the seats were known for being more generously spaced than in other local cinemas. Despite this it could still seat almost 2,000 people. In 1972, a notice appeared claiming that the cinema was closed temporarily because of a power cut, but when it re-opened it was as a bingo hall instead. It has since been demolished and new flats are on the site.

Image credit: Chris Doak