Waverley

Waverley tusk1 detail

19 Moss-side Road
1922-1973

Opened Christmas Day 1922, this grand cinema hasn't shown films since 1973 — but plans are afoot to bring cinema back to the south side in the near future… Described by Provost Paxton on opening as 'a building of great dignity which will no doubt effect an outstanding imrpovement to the amenity of the district', its respectable sandstone exterior hides an auditorium with pairs of massive pillars running down each side. Plans were lodged with the council in 2013 to re-configure the space as a 3-screen cinema — hopefully to open during 2014?

Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org