467 Dumbarton Road
A perfect example of a 'back-court' cinema – a tiny entrance through a shop unit in a tenement leads to an enormous auditorium hidden behind in what would otherwise be drying greens for the flats surrounding it! An immediate success on opening in 1920, it was soon expanded to seat over 2,100 people by 1932. Later a bingo hall, snooker hall and now a charity shop, hidden above the suspended ceilings the full cinema balcony – complete with dusty seats and light fittings - still survives today, slowly crumbling away, albeit now inaccessible, as the staircase to has been removed!
Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org