Crosshill

Crosshill1 detail

488 Victoria Road
1920-1952

The low narrow shop building next to Queen's Park Station was once the Crosshill Picture House - look out for the name of the architect - Joseph Boyd - on the side wall! The original entrance was much grander, with two giant pillars on either side of the door. The cinema sat 650 people, and used back-projection - meaning the projectors were behind the screen with the film laced up back-to-front. This was apparently useful during thick smogs, as the auditorium was very long and narrow. The building has been a shop since the early 1950s.

Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org