Grosvenor

Grosvenor detail

Ashton Lane
1921-present

Glasgow's oldest working cinema – dating from 1921 – was once entered directly from busy Byres Road, and not the then quiet Ashton Lane. Seating 1300 people, there was a café featuring an American soda fountain above the entrance, and visitors were promised that it was 'the most up to date picture theatre in Glasgow, renowned for excellent pictures combined with delightful musical accompaniment.' In 1980 it was rebuilt with two small screens entered from Ashton Lane, and in 2003 rebuilt again to allow patrons of the new large bar upstairs to admire the dramatic original 1920s decorative ceiling.

Image credit: ScottishCinemas.org